Central Wesleyan Church is a place that proclaims the gospel of Jesus Christ. But we’re not just all about evangelism. We are also a community.
In 1866, a layman by the name of Michael Clapper began preaching above a saloon in downtown Holland. The resulting revival would later give birth to Central Wesleyan Church when, on January 13, 1896, seven Holland residents formally organized the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
After worshipping for 60 years at the corner of 17th Street and Pine, the congregation votes to purchase 20 acres at 40th Street & Ottawa for $70,000
The first building on the new campus, now our Activities Center, was built in 1978.
Due to growth, the church adds a second service on Sundays.
The Central Wesleyan website launches
Debt from the Worship Center was paid in full
The Property on the corner of 17th Street and Pine is purchased for $4,500
In June 1977, Pastor Paul Hontz accepted the call to become the 22nd senior pastor after having served the previous year as youth pastor.
Pastor Paul Hontz hosts the first missions conference at Central and begins "Fatih Promise Giving" for missions. By 1982, missions giving increases 111% and averages $100 per attender.
The Discipleship Center, where our business offices and Student rooms are today, was built in 1992
On Sunday, March 25, the 2,800-seat Worship Center opened. More than 7,000 people attended Central on that day.
Pastor Craig Rees accepted the position to become our current Lead Pastor. He later revealed the Water's Edge Vision for Central Wesleyan Church.
Our current Worship Center was completed in 2001 and houses a congregation that now numbers 3,000. Our campus has grown to encompass over 100 acres, however, the true measure of Central Wesleyan is found not in the growth of our campus, but in the countless thousands of lives who have been impacted for Jesus Christ.